(this post was originally published on The Mixed-Up Files of Middle Grade Authors blog on 11/20/2015)
“Dogs I like” is one one of my book shelves on Goodreads, and I feel a tremendous delight each time I get to add a new book to the shelf. These books are not necessarily about dogs (although some certainly are); rather, these are the books where the author has included a dog in the story in a way that makes me think: Yeah, she really understands dogs. More importantly, the author includes a dog in a way that makes me feel: I like that dog.
For those readers who love not only dog stories, but stories where people love their dogs, this slide show features 10 middle grade books for readers who not only love dog stories, but also love stories about people who love their dogs.
Here’s a list of the titles featured above:
- The Doldrums by Nicholas Gannon
- The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
- Ice Dogs by Terry Lynn Johnson
- Dash by Kirby Larson
- A Dog Called Homeless by Sarah Lean
- A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
- Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
- Waiting for the Magic by Patricia MacLachlan
- Lara’s Gift by Annemarie O’Brien
- How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O’Connor